For Your Consideration

The latest film from the mind of Christopher Guest opened to mixed reviews, which is the opposite of its plot. In For Your Consideration the ‘in-production film’ Home for Purim’s lead actress, Marilyn Hack played by Catherine O’Hara, has been mentioned on a website for a possible Oscar-worthy performance. Wonder and excitement ensue and soon others in the business take notice that generates more Oscar buzz.

What sets For Your Consideration apart from Best In Show, A Mighty Wind, etc. is that this one is not in faux documentary style. There are interviews but not led by an objective party. This difference in narration does not allow the audience to have access to the character’s separate and yet combined commentaries. None of the characters speak into or face the camera thus keeping a distance between the film and the audience. Instead of being right there with them we are merely observers.

While featuring its usual cast there are appearances by Rachel Harris, Sandra Oh, Richard Kind, and others who are not used to the best of their abilities. What pulls this movie down further is the lack of creation put into the characters. It was as if Guest did not know whom he would be working with. However, the group did take full advantage of their lines. The actors made the movie better than its script. Jennifer Coolidge was the most comical especially because of her hair, makeup, and clothing. Eugene Levy barely had any screen time but nicely portrayed a stereotypical agent.

Although very predictable it points out the repressed truths of Hollywood. For example: older women are rarely attractive in their roles and thus do all they can to look younger in public. Marilyn’s transformation from normal middle age to wannabe 20-something produces the greatest laughs at first sight. In its basic form a film is the visual adaptation of a script. Its meaning lies within the text and when compromised by a director, it changes. This was well expressed as Guest throws the script down in front of his actors and the writers jump to their feet in horror.

‘For your consideration’ is a phrase used in the film industry’s magazines for suggesting a film/TV show or so-and-so for nominations. This movie makes fun of today’s obsession with predicting the year’s best. Wisely choosing to open the story by having Home for Purim in the midst of its shooting and far from its wide release date is symbolic of the world’s rush to the red carpet. Further proof is in reality to enhance appeal and praise, advertisements must show positive blurbs from reviews but have you ever noticed their pattern? In January and February: the best new’hellip;of the year. In late May to early August: the best’hellip;of the summer. And then from late October to December all the dramas and holiday movies are rolled out to make the most profits. Every year this happens and people buy into it because they want to see what is so great before no longer in front of them.

For Your Consideration does not have the high level of crazy humor and resulting laughter as expected but it succeeds in properly portraying Hollywood. Unfortunately, I predict zero Oscar nominations.