Russian Children’s Circus Comes to Staller

On Nov.12,’ at 1pm and 4pm the Russian American Kids Circus came to perform at the Staller Center‘s main stage. The first of the Not Just for Kids series, it’ promised to’ be an entertaining show for parents and children of all ages. I was there with my 9 year old cousin, aunt, and uncle. For $10 a ticket, it was a fun’ way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Alex Berenchtein began The New Way Circus Center in 1994 with his wife and mother-in-law. The group features 10 boys and girls ages six to sixteen, and the most adorable two and’ a half year old boy.’ They have performed over 1200 national and international shows.’ Most of the students began at a very young age and the most advanced are taken on tours.

The show opened with black light juggling and then featured acts on’ unicycles, balancing, clown-like acts, and stylized gymnastics. The children’ changed into three crazy colored customs and moved to a great selection of music that ranged from energized, arranged, and classical to dance club beats. Just over an hour and a half long, it was enough time and had enough tricks to keep the kids’ attention and the parents from being too bored.

Watching these performances made me think about how hard they must practice each day to learn and’ perfect their routines. Although’ much younger than us,’ they displayed a certain’ maturity, discipline, and passion that is commendable and’ worthy of great respect. Juggling multiple props in’ interesting positions, jumping and spinning over’ bodies, six at a time, for example, and balancing one or more people on their shoulders while riding a unicycle, and then doing tricks with them, was all very exciting and enthralling.’ To’ be’ a witness to these great feats was’ motivating and encouraging, proving that it is possible to be successful at whatever we choose to do with our lives.’ ‘

When we’re tired after a day of classes, with a long night ahead, with a test the following morning, and all we can think of is our’ own defeat, we should just remember what these kids have achieved. If they can, we can. This is why this show is for any age; because it can remind us of our strength and endurance and persuade us to accomplish our goals.