Residential Blood Drive Hits Campus

The Student Blood Drive Committee continues its ongoing campaign this week to promote blood donation across campus with its Residential Blood Drive, the second of its two major blood drive events scheduled for this semester. Residential blood drives will begin on Monday, November 6th continuing until Wednesday, November 8th.

According to Lise-Ethlyn Maurice, President of the Student Blood Drive Committee, ‘Approximately 260 people donated blood several weeks ago at the SAC Blood Drive.’ The Residential Blood Drive will be conducted over a three day span, and the Student Blood Drive Committee, according to Maurice, ‘hopes for even more people.’

Maurice did acknowledge, ‘It’s tough for people to find time to donate [blood].’ Still, she continued, ‘We hope that the late evening times are better for people.’ One can find the timings and locations for the Residential Blood Drives in the accompanying table.

According to Maurice, the Student Blood Drive Committee is primarily responsible for providing publicity and volunteers for the blood drives they sponsor. Organizing of the residential blood drives was conducted in conjunction with Campus Residences and RHA. The actual medical personnel are provided by Long Island Blood Services an affiliate of the New York Blood Center.

The Student Blood Drive Committee, as mentioned above, is always trying to get more volunteers to support its cause. Cristina Hyun, Treasurer for the Student Blood Drive Committee, commented, ‘We’ve been trying to spread the word.’ Hyun herself had volunteered in blood drives throughout her high school career and wished to continue contributing to this cause in college.

Bomy Hwang, Public Relations Officer for Student Blood Drive Committee reported that as a 6th grader in Korea, she was motivated by American Red Cross workers who came to her school to speak about donating blood. Maurice, now a senior, initially started volunteering at the blood drives as a freshman and continued to support the Student Blood Drive Committee.

Maurice said, ‘There’s always a shortage of blood, especially during the summer months. Here students don’t have to travel too far to really help someone out.’

Aside from these periodic blood drives, donations can be made any day of the week at the Stony Brook University Medical Center (SBUMC) Blood Bank. The Blood Bank is open on L5 of the hospital from Monday to Friday 8:30AM to 8:00PM. While blood donated at the Blood Bank is reserved for patients of SBUMC, the blood donated at either the previous SAC Blood Drive or current Residential Blood Drive will be available to people in need all over Long Island.