Assault Victims Knew Perpetrators

The two men allegedly involved in the assault of two female students on Oct. 15th were acquaintances of the victims.

According to Douglas Little, Assistant Chief of Stony Brook Police Department, there have not been any arrests as of yet.

‘The two parties were acquaintances,’ said Little. ‘This was not just a situation of someone just walking by on the street.’

The University of Arizona Medical School survey of working women and college students found that more than four out of five rape victims know their attackers. Among college rape victims, more than half are attacked by dates.

Authorities say one of the accused was a student here on campus at the time of the incident. However, he is no longer a student and is’ awaiting a hearing. The other man, a friend of his, did not attend the school. Both’ have been identified by the’ police. Little was unable to provide the location of the incident or the’ ages of either the victims or the accused due to possible violations of privacy.

The Wo/Men’s center on campus provides confidential counseling for victims of sexual assault and allows walk-ins on Wednesdays from’ 5-8 PM and on Fridays from 12-3 PM. The center offers a range of services including counseling for students seeking help with sexual abuse, eating disorders, coming out, gender identity, and depression.

‘It’s important for students to be aware of the resources available to them,’ says Dr. Jenny Hwang, Director of the Wo/Men’s Center. ‘So many of these kinds of cases go unreported. My advice to students is to come forward if they need help and we’ll be there for them.’ Police say for every recorded rape, an estimated three to ten go unreported.