Scary Movie Marathon

Halloween is the perfect time to curl up on the couch with some friends in the dark and scare yourself silly with a few really good movies. But there are so many to choose from. How do you put together the ultimate marathon of creepy films? Do you go out or stay in? The fact is, you can go to the theatre and hope that you will be scared, or you can go for some tried and true favorites.

The king of all scary movies is of course, Alfred Hitchcock. Give it one night, good friends and some popcorn, and you have the perfect setup for some Halloween fun. Most people would limit Hitchcock to just Psycho in their film repertoire, but one film cannot do a genius justice, regardless of how great it may be. For a change of pace, throw in The Birds or Dial M for Murder.

Of course, by modern standards, Hitchcock’s films are pretty tame when it comes to gore. If you’re looking for pure blood and guts, go for last year’s hit Hostel. Not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach, just try to find a plot beneath this film’s severed body parts and rivers of blood. If you’re looking for a storyline to go with your mutilation go for the Saw series. The plot may seem out there, but remember, it’s a horror movie.

If you’re looking for a film that will scare you even when you turn on the lights and make you wonder, if that could really happen, pick up Suspect Zero. A film somewhat forgotten after it’s 2004 release, Suspect Zero, follows the investigation of a string of murders, all of which target other serial killers. The only clue left behind is the number zero slashed into each victim. Who is Suspect Zero, and can he really exist? You’ll have a chilling night trying to figure it out.

Finally, if you’re one of those people who think the whole horror movie genre is completely ridiculous, you might lean towards the classic spoof series, Scary Movie. On the other hand, get into the genre with a few laughs by finding classically bad movies you can really throw some popcorn at. Some good choices are the awesomely bad 1973’s The Legend of Hell House and 1990’s Mom. You’ll be laughing so hard at the absurdity of these films that you’ll have to ask yourself if they were really meant to be scary.