Tie Lands Seawolves Tournament Berth

On an evening where seniors, Adam Ciklic, Zach Norwood, and Noah Liiv, of the Stony Brook Men’s Soccer team were honored and thanked for their contributions to the squad during their stay at SBU, the team simultaneously clinched the sixth and final spot in the America East Conference Tournament. Despite times when the Seawolves’ play this season looked nothing like their conference championship form from last year, the players and coaching staff were able to unite together down the stretch and give themselves a chance to defend their title.

The Seawolves tied New Hampshire, 0-0 in a thrilling double over-time contest this past Saturday. Due to the loss suffered by conference rival, Hartford, Stony Brook landed the last spot in the tournament.

With the tie the Seawolves finished their regular season with an overall record of 6-11-1 and a conference record of 3-4-1 while New Hampshire finished 11-4-3 overall and 5-2-1 in the conference.

Despite New Hampshire’s superior record, the Seawolves continued their aggressive nature that they have been displaying over the past 8 games. In the first half the Seawolves out-shot the Wildcats 7-5 in the first half. SBU’s best scoring opportunity of the half and probably of the game came when Yahaya Musa’s header ricocheted off the right post of the Wildcat’s goal. The rebound was followed up by a Zach Norwood shot that became 1 of the 9 saves made by Wildcat keeper Brian Levey.

After SBU’s keeper Rich Skoblicki went down with an injury in the 48th minute, Ryan Tepfer came in and held down the fort for the remainder of the game. Although unchallenged for the majority of the second period and the two overtimes, Tepfer managed to keep the Wildcat’s shots out of the SBU net, and thus preserved both the tie and the tournament dreams.

In the second half the Seawolves continued their offensive march as they took 8 more cracks on goal as did their opposition. The team’s season scoring leader, Adam Ciklic, and season assist leader, Michael Palacio, carried the attack during the competition by taking 6 and 4 shots respectively.

Stony Brook’s post season begins this Saturday October 28th in a six vs. three seed matchup as they are traveling north to engage in a rematch with New Hampshire.