Seawolves Drown to UMass

On Oct. 21, the Stony Brook Men and Women’s swimming and diving teams had its first home meet. The meet against the University of Massachusetts resulted in a 190-110 loss for the women’s division, and a 185-112 loss for the men’s division. Stony Brook now stands at 0-1, and UMass at 1-0.

The Sports Complex pool witnessed a crowded audience that cheered unfailingly for the home team. There were a total of 32 events, 16 each for men and women.

The Seawolves started well with a win for in the 200-yard medley relay, as both the men and the women’s ‘A’ relay team took first place. The women’s ‘A’ team had a close win with a time of 1:53.58, barely under the UMass ‘A’ team’s time of 1:54.40.

The Seawolves also took first in the women’s 1,000-yard and 200-yard freestyle, 100-yard breaststroke, 200-yard backstroke. Kym Sgrignoli, with a time of 11:21.18, and Kary Albery, with a time of 11:26.76, took first and second place in the 100-yard freestyle.’ Rebecca Sayles, with a time of 1:59.99, took first place in the 200-yard freestyle.

Brittany Whipple finished first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:09.68. Sophomore Lucy Liu made a comeback from her third place in the 200-yard butterfly, with a first place finish in the 200-yard backstroke.

On the men’s side, the Seawolves had less first place wins, but overall more wins. They took first in the 100-yard breaststroke, 200-yard intramural, and 400-yard freestyle relay.

Team ‘A,’ which won the 400-yard relay with a time of 3:15.72, was made of Omer Ozcan, Dan Piastuck, Alexander Kissel, and Rafael Labour. Bryce Cullinane, with a time of 2:04.18, won first place in the 200-yard IM, with the second and third place to the Seawolves. Jon Sigurosson, took first place in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 59:30.

The next home meet is against Fordham. It will take place on Nov. 8 at 5PM.