Women’s Soccer Falls to New Hampshire

For the Stony Brook University Women’s soccer team, last Thursday afternoon’s defeat was a tough loss to swallow. Their opponent, University of New Hampshire, scored a late winner to sneak past the Seawolves in an away game. With the 0-1 loss on the road, the Seawolves currently stand at 7-6-1 overall, 2-3-0 in the America East Conferences, while the Wildcats improves to 5-8-0, 3-2-0 respectively.

With 1 minute and 30 seconds left on the clock, the Wildcats forward Sara Hourihan scored the game’s only goal from seven yards out. Hourihan received a pass from fellow forward Adriana Gonzalez-Medina inside the penalty area, toward the right of the six yard box. Hourihan fired a shot; the ball found the upper left corner of the net and lifted the Wildcats past the Seawolves in the final moment.

The Seawolves lost their intensity in the second half of the game as they were out shot 7-3.

Returning home this week, Stony Brook hopes to pick up their performance in the match against Hartford at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium to reach the .500 mark in conference play. The game will kick off at 3 o’clock, Sunday afternoon.