Donate Life

On October 10, 2006, students had the opportunity to donate blood at the Student Activities Center. Sponsored by the New York Blood Center (NYBC), the blood drive was held throughout most of the day. Individuals were given the opportunity to volunteer as well.

According to a recent press release by Stony Brook University, the NYBC Service, ‘is appealing to the public for donors.’

The press release described a current emergency situation for blood types A-, O+, and O-. In addition, blood that has been donated must go through rigorous testing before it can be made available for transfusions.

The press release also describes the physical requirements for individuals who wish to donate blood. Donors should be with the ages of 17 and 75, be in good health, and over 110 lbs in weight. If the individual has some type of medical condition such as hypertension or high cholesterol, the press release describes, he or she may still donate blood if the condition is kept under control.

Aside from attending and contributing to blood drives on campus, blood can be donated any day of the week at the Stony Brook University Medical Center (SBUMC) Blood Bank. The Blood Bank is open on L5 of the hospital from Monday to Friday 8:30AM to 8:00PM.

Blood donations on campus ‘go directly to a patient at SBUMC.’