I-CON Boosts Quality of Life for Kids

On Monday, Oct. 2, 2006, Stony Brook Medical Center received a visit from Stony Brook alumni John Madonia and his wife Paula Peterson, as well as their 10-week-old baby Jonathan of East Moriches.’ Their visit comes after I-CON presented a $1600 check to the Child Life Program at Stony Brook the week before.

John Madonia’s late son, Johnny, was diagnosed in August 2005 with Stage III T-Cell non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and passed away on September 22, 2005. Staying at the hospital is never fun, and it is particularly stressful for both children and their families.

The goal of Stony Brook Medical Center’s Child Life Program is to reduce the stress associated with illness and hospitalization for pediatric patients and to embrace the value of play as a healing modality. This includes providing therapeutic, recreational, and educational activities to meet the patients’ needs. Brad Jerson, a child life specialist at the Child Life Program said, ‘Johnny was a patient here and close…the family was really appreciative and grateful for the program.’

The check received from I-CON will be spent towards the purchase of new DVD/VCR players for the patient rooms in the Children’s Hematology / Oncology Wards and in the PICU, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. I-CON is a three day festival, billed as the Northeast’s largest convention of science-fiction, takes place every year to encourage literacy, creativity and interest in science and technology through science fiction and its related genres.

During the annual charity auctions, I-CON raises money for different non-profit organizations. They chose the Child Life Program for the 2006 ICON Convention on Stony Brook’s West Campus. John Madonia graduated in 1989 and is a well loved Facility Manager at the SB Student Union. Paula Peterson graduated in 1992 and is a social worker at the Riverhead Mental Health Clinic.

The sorority Lambda Fe Uson presented John Madonia with their ‘Man of the Year Award’ for his commitment to the Child Life Program. Also, many students from the media wing, located in the Student Union, came together for a shared fundraising campaign out of respect for Mr. Madonia and his late son. The fund raising effort on behalf of Johnny continues, so please send any donations to the Child Life Program at Stony Brook.

For more information, please go to http://www.stonybrookhospital.com/childlife.