The Deal is Done

Stony Brook University officially announced its acquisition of the Southampton College property on Wednesday, Oct. 3. The new 82-acre property, now to be called Stony Brook Southampton, will feature programs in ecology and the environment, with a focus on issues of sustainability, according to a press release.

‘This is an extraordinary day for Stony Brook and for the people of the East End,’ said Stony Brook President Shirley Strum Kenny in the press release. ‘Stony Brook Southampton will be a place where the critical issues of the environment and ecology will be explored in interdisciplinary programs that attract students from across the nation. These environmental issues are crucial to the planet, to the region, and, particularly, to Eastern Long Island.’

Later in the press release, she said, ‘the environment and sustainability are the most critical issues for the 21st century. It will be an extraordinary opportunity for students to help shape our response to the global challenges we face.’

Stony Brook Southampton’s environmental program will be taught in an interdisciplinary fashion, meaning, and, along with the scientific aspects, it will include social, economic, and political issues related to the environment.

The new campus will also offer an MFA creative writing program, headed by Robert Reeves, who ran the program when Southampton was owned by Long Island University. The Writer’s Conference, which has been attracting leading authors from across the country to the East End for 30 years, will return to Southampton campus next year, according to the press release. Currently, 200 students are enrolled to begin courses at the campus next fall. 2,000 are expected to enroll within the next five years, said the press release.

Stony Brook University purchased the Southampton campus for $35 million. The sale included the purchase of 42 buildings, including classroom buildings, library buildings, residence halls, and art studio buildings. Stony Brook University will be doing some major renovations on the existing buildings, according to the press release, including the completion of the library and the renovation of the residence halls.

Stony Brook University has been after the property since LIU announced, in 2004, that it would be ending operations there. A financial agreement was reached between the two schools this March, after long negations. Last month, Martin Schoonen was named Interim Dean of Stony Brook Southampton.

A public ‘opening celebration,’ according to the press release, will take place on Saturday, Oct. 14.