New York Fashions, A Week of Designers

This past week has been one of the most exciting times in fashion-New York Fashion Week. Designers of many ranks-from the most well known names to those just breaking into the industry-reveal their collections for spring 2007. These are just a few of my favorites!

One of the shows I loved the most was the one that featured designs by the finalists from ‘Project Runway’. As fan of the show (and fan of Michael Knight) I was thrilled to see the designers signature styles and colors gracing the runway. The spring will feature tops, dresses, and skirts in crepe and jersey with an obvious affliction for bold reds, oranges, and shades of cream. Vera Wang’s elegant charm came through in long, flowy dresses in silk with mesh overlays. Wang used more earthy tones-grey, brown, cream. The colors combined with the beauty of the dress itself (in shape and cut) created a very balanced and feminine look.

Zac Posen is a very talented designer whose fashion choices are making him a crucial part of the industry right now. Posen’s show went very feminine. Light silk combined with ruffled blouses and dresses as well as very distinctive hemlines on skirts and even shorts. Ralph Lauren rocked the traditional, clean RL style. White and black combinations, high waisted pencil skirts with white button-up blouses, and even formal wear, featuring a gorgeous silver, sparkling, form-fitted evening gown. RL perfect!

Catherine Malandrino is a French designer who made her American debut in the late 1990’s. This week she lit up the runway with very feminine styles that channel the 60’s with the lengths and fabrics. Skirts in almost mod-lengths and short dresses with cut out overlays. A refreshing look in the runway!

As for Anna Sui-Prints! Prints! Prints! Anna debuted several scarf print dresses and blouses in several styles with endless color combinations. Anna also worked the print and stripe combo, featuring printed tops with black or navy and white shorts or slacks. This, in itself, is an art form to me because prints and stripes can be very, very tricky-this pairing can require a little trial and error!

My two favorite spring lines were those of Nasciso Rodriguez and Michael Kors. Rodriguez’s designs were elegant and feminine without being too delicate or ‘girly’. An ensemble, whether it is casual or formal, has reached a level of perfection when it exudes femininity and beauty but doesn’t compromise the strength and maturity of a woman. One of my favorites from his line was a perfectly form-fitting, very long, very backless, gown in red. I loved this because the dress itself was very simple-a solid fabric in one color shade-but the fitted cut and use of red make this dress stand out. Not too mention that there is nothing sexier than a low backline.

Michael Kors was pure beauty. He used perfect materials and colors to crate casual dresses and sparkling formalwear. He also featured flats on the runway. This stood out to me because flats are a must have, but we rarely see anything less than a 4 inch heel on the runway. Pairing short dresses with flats creates a look that translates to the everyday shopper.

Lastly, a very interesting show in New York’s Fashion Week was the Rock the Runway Event by WalMart. WalMart on the runway in the fashion capital?! WalMart combined live music performances with an unveiling of its spring line. WalMart’s designs may have been somewhat similar to some of the pieces created by top-tier designers with one big exception–price. The highest priced item on the WalMart runway was $98.94.

So, check out some of the designs from this past week’s shows-they’re in newspapers and magazines. You can get some great ideas from the designer pieces which can be altered a bit and duplicated by the less expensive brands and stores.