SBU Shows Strongest Support for Wolves Yet

The energy of school spirit was in the air on Oct. 4, complete with pompoms fluttering, students flying and Justin Timberlake blasting on a nearby stereo.

The Homecoming Kickoff, which was organized by the SAC Activities board, took place last Wednesday, Oct. 4 at noon in the SAC Plaza. This year’s event featured Extreme Air, an activity where students were secured by harnesses and sent flying through the air. There was a football relay race, a rock climbing wall, and an antique photo setup as well. Refreshments included free lemonade and snacks.

However, the longest line was for the t-shirt booth, where you received a Stony Brook Football Jersey and got your own personal message or name colorfully painted onto the back.

‘Homecoming is very exciting for undergrads,’ said sophomore Michelle Gillen. ‘All the free stuff and activities help get everyone involved.’

The Homecoming Kickoff, whose theme this year is ‘Blast from the Past,’ was attended by everyone from homecoming candidates to Stony Brook’s own Seawolf mascot, Wolfy.

Ending the event was a performance by the Stony Brook cheerleading squad. Cheerleader Alisha Ramos was persuading students to come to the homecoming football game, which was held on Oct. 7. ‘Everyone is encouraged to come down to the homecoming game on Saturday to show their spirit and support the Seawolves!’ she exclaimed.

The persuasion worked for most students.

‘The cheerleaders impressed me with their enthusiastic performance and pumped me up for the game,’ said freshman Glenn Melendez of the performance.

As the event ended the spirit only increased, with the excitement for the float competition on Friday night. The float competition is between all the residence halls, as well as other organizations on campus.

As if she was reading a crystal ball, senior Samone Rogers predicted the outcome.

‘We’re going to kick Albany‘s ass,’ Rogers said. She added, ‘Mendy is going to win the float competition.’