Seawolves Football Takes its First Win of the Season

The Stony Brook Seawolves wrapped up their road trip with a win over the Monmouth Hawks by a score of 36-17 to get their first win of the season, and to deal Monmouth their first loss of the year. The game marked the beginning of conference play for each team. This was also the first win under new head coach, Chuck Priore. Stony Brook led early on, following a bungled punting play by Monmouth, which gave Stony Brook the ball deep in Hawk territory, which was quickly turned into a touchdown following a Josh Dudash pass.

The punt gone wrong turned out to be the first of many mistakes for Monmouth. They had four passes intercepted, and lost two fumbles. The first interception was turned into a touchdown the very next play, a play in which Dudash handed the ball off to Steve Austin, who then threw the ball 45 yards to Dwayne Eley.

Stony Brook went into halftime with a 29-0 lead, and was able to hold off Monmouth to seal the victory. The Seawolves go to 1-4 (1-0 in conference play), and the Hawks go to 4-1 (0-1 in conference play). Stony Brook’s next game is at LaValle Stadium on Saturday, October 7, at 2PM against Albany, in the homecoming game.