Lucky Break Puts CCSU Over Seawolves

The women’s soccer team started the season off fighting against Central Connecticut State University in their first home game. The Seawolves took control of the field from the very beginning, controlling the ball much better than their opponents. Although the Seawolves were on the offensive, they seemed to have difficulty making plays in front of the goal.

One player who continued to catch the opposition off guard was forward Kate Collins. Collins’ aggressive play, although it did earn her a few fouls, kept Central Connecticut on its toes during the beginning of the first half.

Also impressing the crowd early on was sophomore midfielder Brooke Barbuto. Her fancy footwork more often than not baffled Central Connecticut defenders.

On the defensive end, junior Krista Shilts could not be passed. Time and time again, she stopped Central Connecticut‘s offensive threat, Jessica McCavanaugh from coming down the right wing.

Later in the first half, Trine Allenberg set up several excellent corner kicks in front of the net only to have her crosses picked off by the opposing goalie, Erin Herd, or cleared by the Central Connecticut defense.

Even when the Seawolves gained control in front of the net, they did not seem able to finish, or even get off, a clear shot.
    Another problem the Seawolves came across was their inability to complete passes. Although Stony Brook always seemed to have a player open, the player in control of the ball didn’t always see the open player, or passes were intercepted.

The half ended and the crowd could taste a Stony Brook victory, if only they could work past their difficulties to let their outstanding talents shine through.

The opening minutes of the second half showed a renewed Stony Brook team. The opening minutes showed more aggressive play, especially in front of the goal. This led to the first real shot of game by Brooke Barbuto in the 60th minute.
    In the next six minutes, Stony Brook made two more impressive shots, but both were saved by the Central Connecticut goalie.

In the 74th minute, Kate Collins’ aggressive play drew a foul from the other team. The resulting free kick ended in a nice head shot by freshman midfielder, Alexandra Teti, who had subbed into the game.’ Unfortunately, this shot was also saved by Central Connecticut‘s keeper.

Devastatingly, in the 81st minute, Central Connecticut‘s Jessica McCavanaugh sped down the field in a fast break. Although her first attempt was deflected by the Seawolves keeper, Marissa Viola, who had been making fantastic, saves all game; McCavanaugh put the ball in the net off of the deflection.

Despite this goal so late in the game, the Seawolves continued to play great soccer, perhaps the best of the match. Marissa Viola made two more excellent saves and players like Brooke Barbuto, who had been playing excellently all game, continued to make runs, but were unable to come up with a tying goal.

After an opening home game like this, the coming season promises to be exciting. The loss brings the women’s soccer team to a 2-1 record. The Seawolves are back in action Friday night at home.