Stony Brook in Vogue

The semester has begun and in only a few weeks we will approach the beginning of fall, my favorite season. With the cooler temperatures and shorter days comes the opportunities to sport new fall styles.

Spring styles introduced us to the legging by pairing it with long tees and tanks. The combination of a long top and skinny bottom has transcended into the fall styles as well. Long sweaters with dipping V-necks or wide boatnecks paired with skinny jeans and pencil skirts are becoming somewhat of a staple. From boutiques to H&M an dExpress, oversized sweaters are in every store. Long cardigan sweaters paired with skirts or slacks are an alteration of the oversized sweater, better suited for the workplace.

Let’s backtrack a few lines to skinny jeans. Skinny jeans gained popularity throughout the spring and summer, but they are absolutely booming for the fall. Skinny jeans are not your moms old straight legs but rather, they are a specific cut. Express, Urban Outfitters, H&M, and many, many more retailers have caught on to the skinny jean. My advice: try them on! These are the type of pants that look entirely different on the hanger then on your body. Just like any other jean, they are available in different shades and washes, but the must-have for the fall is the skinny jean in gray. It’s on the darker side, while not being too dark for season (after all, fall is a transition period). I’m loving skinny jeans with heels and maybe a layered jacket OR with a neutral or darker colored flat.

There is a hint of naval influence in the fall styles. Navy, white, and gold are the color staples appearing on tops, skirts, slacks, and jackets. Tops with horizontal stripes, high waisted pants, short peacoats, and the use of gold or brass symmetrical buttons are part of this trend. And talking about peacoats, how can we talk fall styles without talking jackets? Jackets for the fall are lightweight and mid-length. The use of light tweed, texture, and lightweight leather create fitted jackets that are classic in shape but have a modern edge in their length and cut. Even herringbone has made a significant mark in this season’s styles. Just remember, a fall jacket is not a coat. This will not be the item you’ll wear through March. Also keep in mind fabric and weight when you’re looking for the perfect fall cover-up.

And good luck with your first couple weeks back at Stony Brook!