So Long, Sorry, Seawolves Seniors

With an 82-57 trashing at the hands of Vermont, theSeawolves mercifully closed the book on the most tumultuous and miserableseason in the team’s recent history.

After posting three consecutive winning seasons, coach TrishRoberts and the women’s basketball team turned in their first losingseason since the program moved to Division I in 1999. SBU finished the yearwith a 9-18 record after going 7-9 in the America East Conference while theCatamounts improved their record to 20-7.

Playing in front of another very small crowd, the Seawolveswere outclassed from the onset and Vermont remained complete control throughoutthe game. The Catamounts jumped out to an early lead, using a 13-0 run midwaythrough the first half to stake a 30-8 advantage.

After falling behind early, the closest the Seawolves wereable to get the rest of the way was within 19 points. This wasn’tsurprising considering that Vermont was on fire in the opening period shooting66.7 percent from the field compared to SBU’s 36 percent mark.

As halftime came around Stony Brook was still trailingVermont, 47-25.

‘?I think we came out not focused,’ said DanyelleIngram. ‘?We didn’t jump off to a good start.’

When the second half started there was still a small sliverof hope for Stony Brook. But the Seawolves optimism was quickly stifled whenthe Catamounts flexed their muscles down low, finishing the game with a 42-28advantage in the paint.

In the second half, Vermont extended their lead to 35 pointsas the Seawolves troubles continued. SBU only made two trips to the charitystripe and were held without a three-point basket in the final 20 minutes.With time winding down Vermont’s lead just grew bigger and bigger.

The Catamounts were up by 27 points when Danyelle Ingramregistered SBU’s final basket and cut Vermont’s margin of victoryto 25 points.

The victory improved the Catamounts to 12-4 in the AmericaEast Conference, and dropped SBU you to a losing mark of 7-9.

But the loss wasn’t expected. AlthoughVermont’s 20-win season indicates that they are used to winning toughgames on the road, the Seawolves were traditionally a formidable team to playat home. Over the three previous seasons, Roberts’ squad used a stingydefense to post a 30-9 record at home. This loss to Vermont insures SBU theirfirst sub-.500 record at home.

Most of this season’s troubles can be traced to theearly feud between Sherry Jordan, the Seawolves premiere player, and Roberts,and the inability all season-long to develop a reliable second scorer. Thiswas painfully evident in the game against the Catamounts were no player otherthan Jordan scored in double figures.

Jordan finished with 12 points and pulled down six reboundsto lead the team in both categories. Theresa LoParrino who is still recoveringfrom knee surgery scored nine points, while Ingram, a freshman, chipped witheight points.

Vermont got a huge performance from Aaron Yantzi who scored26 points on 11 of 15 shooting and collected 5 rebounds. Forward Dawn Cressmanscored 15 points and got eight rebounds and Morgan Hall, a guard, scored 11points and pulled down four rebounds in the game for Vermont.

However, the team views the conference tournament as achance to sneak into the NCAA tourney and right the ills of their season. Thisweek the Seawolves will face off against New Hampshire as the number five seedin the Hartford Civic Center. SBU split the regular season series with NewHampshire with each team winning at home.

‘Its the same predicament we were in last year,’Ingram said. ‘?It starts over. Forget the past.’