America’s Promise of Freedom

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ When I wastold that Santa Claus was not real it did not really bother me, in fact I wasrelieved because he always worried me. When I was told that ChristopherColumbus was not the first to step foot on North American soil, I only wonderedwhy people had told me this for so long knowing it was not true. When I wastold J. Edgar Hoover was really a cross-dressing homosexual I only laughed atthe cruel, cruel irony. So as a product of public school I am used to beinglied to. However there are some things you just do not lie about in America.

First of all a lesson to all of you repressive bald-headedbureaucrats sending the police and security to enforce your dirty, foolishrules DO NOT PLAY WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE’S FREEDOMS after all it is ourcountry, need we remind you? I am cheerfully embarrassed for my government andso proud of its quixotic citizens when I speak of what happened recently inSchenectady, NY. So here is the short unofficial story; a father and son wentto the mall wearing Peace Advocating shirts. The shirts contained no profanity,yet the father was arrested and the son was forced to remove the shirt. Thenext day approximately 150 nameless/faceless American heroes sat down in themall dining area wearing similar Peace shirts. The police/security so bravethe day before hid from cameras in the backroom as the mass of America’sPeace shirt wearing rebels ate their lunch that day in complete freedom. By theway many thank-you’s to the security for the free anti-war publicity, itwas and always is a pleasant surprise.

Closer to home; Why were there 8 armed policeofficers at the campus Teach-in on Iraq? Too protect, to serve? There was nofree food and I am sure they were not helping the University with its fiscalproblems by standing around full of chagrin. In spite of this attemptedintimidation people courageously exercised their right to free speech, right todissent, and most ironically their right to an education on this collegecampus. To the police officers I won’t really say much, although youlook quite stunning, heroic and important with your guns, uniforms and badgesyou clearly are only messengers sent to say ‘?No’,’?Don’t’, ‘?Stop’ when the opportunity presents itself.Luckily Stony Brook students are perfect gentlewomen and men and did not giveyou such opportunities. That is why the teach-in went on and everyone looked atthe police officers, looked away disappointed, and whispered a sad but truewise-crack about the waste of time, potential, life-energy, and tuitiondollars. As for the brains behind the brawn, whom I assume to be theAdministration of our spectacularly inefficient University, it says a lot thatyou would send 8 paid, armed officers to stand outside a teach-in for 5 hoursas tuition increases 41%. In fact it pretty much summarizes the already bleakfiscal crisis, housing crisis, classroom crisis, EOP Crisis and any othercrisis facing this University. Your actions speak volumes to your ability tohandle such crisis inteligently, will another millionaire or corporation bailyou out? As students we can only wait and pay, I mean pray.

Now to the national scene for my final point, andMr. John Ashcroft, the J. Edgar of the 21st century slipping thePatriot Act I through on the coattails of 9-11 and plotting to slip Patriot IIthrough on the coattails of Pre-empting Iraqi lack of aggression. Is this a badplay and the Acts keep getting worse and worse, Mr. Ashcroft maybe bad dramawas your calling. In seriousness it is imperative that the free people ofAmerica preserve the sanctity of a free spyless internet, stand up for ourIslamic brothers to practice freely and reject repression at its worst. Whileat the same time we Preserve the liberty, freedom, and simply the right to beyourself promised to every American citizen since grade school, No true patriotever died so America could be less free. ACT AGAINST THE UNPATRIOTIC PATRIOTACTS!!!