Stony Brook Becomes More Readable Through AIDC

‘I see us integrating this whole vast area of wireless technology and identification into the curriculum.’

Stony Brook University now offers its students access tomore resources and databases on the history and development of automaticidentification and data capture (AIDC). In a moving ceremony, the universityinaugurated its first AIDC 100 Archive, which will house information on suchdevelopments as bar coding, radio frequency datacommunications, biometrics (voice, iris, fingerprint and face recognition),magnetic stripe, optical character recognition, smart cards, and visionsystems.

‘This is very important toour department, which has been instrumental in developing the 2D barcode, theone that is on everyone’s driver’s license,’ Computer Science chair AriKaufman said. ‘?Barcode has been part of the University and we are happythat this collection will be housed here at Stony Brook.’

AIDC 100 was founded in 1997 tocreate an intellectual forum for professionals who had made progressiveadvancements in the data capture and automatic identification industry. Thefounding leaders, George Goldberg, Chet Bonoit, and Ben Nelson, hoped tocollect and continue the record of achievement within an environment that wouldproliferate new ideas and technologies.

‘If you want to research thebarcode industry, this is it,’ said Chris Filstrup, Dean and Director ofLibraries. ‘This is the only place that has this kind of information, andwe hope that people who are interested in this will take advantage of it. Thiscollection documents 20th-century business in America; it documents howtechnologies begin, take off, get institutionalized, and get marketed. It is avery important area in understanding contemporary society.’

The library has the potential tochange SBU’s curriculum and course offerings. The Engineering andComputer Science Departments envision new prospects for adding courses on AIDCtechnology and development into their curricula.

‘I see us integrating thiswhole vast area of wireless technology and identification into thecurriculum,’ said Dean of Engineering and Vice President of EconomicDevelopment Yakov Shamash. ‘We started this process in 1997, and we aredelighted that it has finally come to fruition.’

Students seemed excited at theprospect of new classes and the new opportunities available to them.

‘?I think it’s going tobe very helpful because students can be updated on recent technology,’said Thomas George, sophomore and Mechanical Engineering student.

The AIDC 100 Archive at StonyBrook University includes documents, conference proceedings, market studies,periodicals, books and prototype hardware. Not only does it cover informationon engineering and computer science developments, but it contains marketresearch studies, statistical analyses, standards and specifications, patentsand patent litigation, trade associations and shows, U.S. governmentoperations, and corporate financial reports, as well.

The ever-growing collection willbe housed in the Special Collections Department. The university opened this newcollection in conjunction with the inauguration of the new Douglas Edgell ReadingRoom. This room will hold periodicals, books, audio and visual materials,electronic newsletters, corporate publications, trade association publications,computerized workstations, and imaging equipment.

President and founder of EdgellCommunications, Douglas Edgell headed one of the industry’s largestbusiness-to-business publishers. His widow, Gabrielle A. Edgell, donated fundsin memory of her late husband to provide a comfortable working environment withcomputers for researchers.

‘Doug was a leading light inthe industry,’ said George Goldberg. ‘Doug’s untimely death was ablow to the industry, but this is a fitting memorial that will be here inperpetuity.’