Commuter Students Exposed to Peer Education

On Feb. 19,Campus Life Time was transformed into an informational hour by Commuter StudentServices (CSS), who held a Peer Education Fair in Ballroom B of the StudentActivities Center.

The fairprovided information to students interested in participating in communityoutreach and service organizations. Current members of groups like SexualAssault Facts and Education and peer educators from the Choice Center were onhand to share their experiences, and to explain how students can earn collegecredit for involvement.

Peer Educationprograms focus on informing the community about issues that confront collegepopulations, like sexual assault and drug use. Organizers said they hoped studentswould walk away from the fair with information and an interest in working as apeer educator.

About 70students attended, reflecting the sparse publicity given prior to the event

‘I think theyshould have another, more well-advertised fair, so [that] more students willattend and get all the information they need to help them with careers andschool credits,’ said commuter student Sal Scotto-Lavino. ‘I foundthe fair to be very informative and’ anyone who did go really go a lot outof this education fair.’

The organizershoped that students were impacted by their message and that perhaps some willeven join the groups helping them make a difference in the school and localcommunity.

‘ I reallyliked getting all the information from different groups and I especially likethe Commuter Assistant Program. But overall I enjoyed the fair and I hope they haveanother one soon,’ said commuter student Danielle Gomes.

PUT IN BOX:

For moreinformation about becoming a peer educator, contact:

SAFE: 632-6767

AIDS PeerEducation: 632-6974

Diversity PeerEducation: 632-6790

Student HealthCenter CHOICE: 632-9338

AcademicAdvising: 632-7082

HSC School ofHealth Tech & Management Respiratory Care: Jim Ganetis at 444-3184

CommuterAssistant Program: 632-7353