Stony Brook, NY

Conover Takes Helm of the Marine Sciences Research Center

Professor David Conover was appointed Dean and Director ofthe Marine Sciences Research Center Feb. 20.

Conover, who has been at Stony Brook since 1981 and has 20years of experience in the administration of interdisciplinary researchprograms, was selected after an international search. Conover has also serveda term as Associate Dean for Research at the Center and is well known for hisresearch in the evolutionary biology and ecology of fish and fisheries.

He has authored or co-authored about 70 articles and thestudies he led this summer, which indicated that the potential for evolutionarychange in harvestable biomass should be incorporated in fishery managementplans, were published in Science and received considerable media attention.The National Science Foundation Ocean Sciences Division is the primary sponsorsupporting Conover’s current research.

‘?While continuing to build the national andinternational stature of the MSRC in marine and atmospheric sciences, he [Conover]plans to enhance the Center’s position as the regional resource for a widerange of environmental issues,’ said Robert L. McGrath, Provost andExecutive Vice President for Academic Affairs. ‘?He has already begun toassume the duties of this new position and I am delighted to welcome him tothis new post.’

Conover will be taking the post formerly held by ProfessorMarvin Geller who served as dean and director of the Center for five years.The Center made several significant accomplishments under Geller’sleadership including the acquisition of a well-equipped marine research vesseland the creation of a marine animal pathology laboratory in partnership withCornell University.