Dr. Praveen Chaudhari is Named Director of Brookhaven National Laboratory

With a career ofachievement, discovery, and invention behind him, Dr. Praveen Chaudhari,acclaimed physicist and research manager, has been selected as the Director ofthe U.S. Department of Energy’s Brookhaven National Laboratory.

After 36 yearsof leadership as scientist and senior manager of research at IBM, Chaudhariwill settle into Brookhaven National Labs on April 1.

‘?I am verypleased to join Brookhaven Lab – one of the world’s foremostscientific organizations and home of five Nobel Prize laureates,’Chaudhari said.

Chaudhari’sextensive years of experience include positions at major laboratory operationsin New York, California, and Switzerland. With more than 160 research articlesand 22 patents, Chaudhari was unanimously chosen to take up the position ofdirector.

‘?Hisscientific leadership and international breadth of experience will shape theLaboratory’s future. This is a great choice for Brookhaven Lab, the localcommunity, and the nation,’ said Dr. Raymond L. Orbach, director ofDOE’s Office of Science. ‘?We are delighted to have Dr. Chaudhari- a top-flight scientist, leader, and research manager – as the newDirector at Brookhaven Lab.’

In a jointstatement, Dr. Shirley Strum Kenny, Chair of Brookhaven Science AssociatesBoard of Directors and President of Stony Brook, and Dr. Carl Kohrt, Vice Chairof the Brookhaven Science Associates Board of Directors and President and CEOof Battelle, expressed the Board’s faith in Chaudhari’s work:

Chaudhari wasthe unanimous choice of Brookhaven Science Associates Board of Directors, whichincludes representatives from Battelle, Stony Brook University, and six partneruniversities. The Board said it is convinced that he will continue to emphasizethe Laboratory’s commitment to simultaneous excellence in science,laboratory operations, and community service.’

Chaudhari earnedhis doctorate in Physical Metallurgy at the Massachusetts Institute ofTechnology (MIT), and has been awarded the National Medal of Technology. Hiswork at previous laboratories includes research into nanoscience andsuperconductivity.

‘?I lookforward to working with the outstanding Brookhaven Lab staff to advance thefrontiers of science, effectively operate a diverse laboratory, and serve theneeds of the scientific, local, and national community,’ Chaudhari said.

Ten laboratoriesacross the nation, including Brookhaven National Lab, are supported by the USDepartment of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. With an annual budget of$463 million, the Lab employs more than 2,800 scientists, engineers, andtechnicians and staff.

Nuclear andhigh-energy physics, physics and chemistry of materials, environmental andenergy research, nonproliferation, neurosciences and medical imaging, andstructural biology are just a few of the many ongoing programs that Chaudhariwill oversee at Brookhaven.