Mukhi to Head the Still-Closed Wang

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ SunitaMukhi, Ph.D., was recently appointed the new head of the Charles B. Wang AsianAmerican Center. The Center, which had its grand opening in October and ispresently closed for further construction, was a gift from the former chairmanof Computer Associates, Inc. and will be used for a variety of purposes.

‘?It’s a very excitingand challenging opportunity,’ said Mukhi, who received doctorate from NYUin performance studies with a focus in Asian American culture. ‘?I’mgreatly looking forward to being involved in the Wang Center when it isactive.’

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Mukhisaid she believes she was selected because of her sympathy toward andunderstanding of Asian issues.

‘?I appreciate how people fromdifferent value systems and cultures come together,’ said Mukhi, who isof South Asian descent.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Mukhihas an extensive theatrical background, and has previously worked onprogramming for the Asia Society in New York City. She has coordinated a numberof events, producing different multidisciplinary projects and Asian Americanprograms.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘?I want to make sure the Wang Center is a vibrant, viable venue whereAsian-American cultures can [engage in] dialogue [on] issues that arepertinent,’ Mukhi said. She has high hopes for the new center, and wantsto establish it as a place where people can ‘?discuss and express what itmeans to be Asian.’

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ SomeStony Brook University students feel that the Wang Center’s Asian-Americanfocus might alienate the rest of the campus population, however.

‘?Are there only going to be Asian American events andfunctions going on there?’ asked junior Jason Dobrovski.

But Mukhi emphasized theCenter’s status as a University facility. ‘?It’s not just forAsian Americans,’ Mukhi said. ‘?I would prefer it to be as diverseas the campus.’

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Butone of the Wang Center’s central purposes is to serve as a facility forAsian-American cultural expression through the arts.

‘?I really want the WangCenter to be a hub of arts and culture for the University as well as thesurrounding community, hopefully nationally and internationally,’ Mukhisaid.

The Center will be a location forlectures, workshops, and other University events. It will also include a bookstore, a food court serving South Asian and East Asian food, and possibly astudy lounge for students.

‘?There are many spaces in thebuilding to fill,’ said Mukhi.

Mukhi has some specific ideas inmind, including a film festival, lecture series, open mic, and various musicalprograms. Other departments and colleges within the University will have theopportunity to use the Wang Center as a venue for their own purposes.

‘?There’s so many waysyou can use the space,’ said Mukhi. ‘?There’s a good amount offlexibility.’

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Butas the opening date of the Center remains undisclosed, all Mukhi can do for nowis wait. ‘?We are hoping that by March it will be open,’ she said.