SEAWOLVES HOCKEY OPENS SEASON WITH BACK-TO-BACK WINS

The Stony Brook hockey team opened its season this past weekend with back to back wins. On Saturday night the Rutgers Ice Knights were in town and the Seawolves dealt them a crushing 9-0 defeat.

Jimmy Sedoruk (2 goals, 2 assists) opened the scoring for SBU early in the first period when he beat his defender, then raced towards the goal, squeaking a shot through the goaltenders pads. The Seawolves never looked back.

Also adding to the offense for Stony Brook were Mike Keane (2 goals, 1 assist) and Joe Savan (2 goals). Billy Acker and Anthony DeMichele each added 3 assists. Brian Andruszkiewicz was outstanding in net, making 25 saves en route to his first victory of the season. This was also his first shutout at SBU.

Saturday also marked a milestone for two new players. Rookies Gregg Dietrich and Nate Hould each scored their first goals as Seawolves.

On Sunday night, the Seawolves faced a different opponent but had a similar outcome as they defeated Albany 16-2. Just like the previous night, the Seawolves dominated every aspect of the game from the opening face off to the final whistle.

Leading the way for SBU were Mike Keane (1 goal, 4 assists), Alex Kourgouzov (3 goals, 1 assist), and Sedoruk (2 goals, 2 assists). Captain Jesse Muro and Hould, the newcomer, each added 2 goals and an assist, while Billy Sullivan scored his first 2 goals of the season.

Bobby Marotta got his first start in goal for Stony Brook and he was solid between the pipes, earning his first win at Stony Brook.

Although pleased with his team’#146;s performance, Coach Larry Nastasi knows tougher opponents still lie ahead. After the game he said, ‘These kids played great and deserved to win, but not all games are going to be as easy as these. Now its time to focus and prepare for the tough games that await us.’

The Seawolves next home game is Saturday night Oct. 12 against rival Siena at 8 p.m. at the Rinx in Hauppauge. For directions, call 232-3222.