>Roth Quad Renovations

Roth Quad Renovations

Residents of Cardozo and Whitman College returned to campus this September to find new air conditioning systems installed in their bedrooms, suites, and lounges.

According to Darylynn Brachman, Director of Administrative Services for Campus Residences, President Shirley Strum Kenny was interested in air conditioning the residential halls for summer usage.

Cardozo and Whitman College are used throughout the summer for conferences. In addition, different academic departments use the space to hold sessions.

Renovations in Roth Quad have been an ongoing process, beginning as long as ten years ago.

Hendrix College had such restoration done a decade ago, and went through even more this past summer. The building underwent mini-restorations such as re-painted walls, newly carpeted floors, wiring for the air conditioners to be installed, and an subsequent adjustments to make the building accessible to handicapped students and guests.

‘These changes were made to Hendrix College to bring the building up to par with the rest,’ said Director of Roth Quad, Jean Peden. ‘Hendrix will have air conditioners installed this summer, while Gershwin and Whitman are renovated.’

According to Brachman, designing the program and purchasing the new air conditioners cost approximately $600,000. The project was funded by the Campus Residences Reserve Fund, which is the collection of money after student residential payments are budgeted, meaning that there was no state support in the matter. The cost of maintenance is covered by the extra $30 each student in a room with an air conditioning pays as part of his or her room and board fees.

‘The electric work was done by A & F Electric and the units were placed by Sanchez Construction,’ said Fred Tokash, consultant for Campus Residences. In addition, the ‘campus has a contract with Carrier AC to handle all repairs. There are extra [air conditioning] units in case it is hot and something goes wrong with the [current] air conditioning. Carrier will fix the problem with minimum inconvenience to the student.’

According to Campus Residences, the air conditioning units have not caused any problems yet. ‘I haven’#146;t heard any student complaints,’ said Brachman.

‘There are special lines and separate electrical outlets just for air conditioners,’ said Peden. ‘If students plug something else into [these] outlets, we might have a problem.

Measures have also been taken to maintain energy conservation. Newsletters are mailed to students and Residential Advisors preach the importance of only using the air conditioning when necessary. In addition, the main power does not lie in the hand of the student.

‘Any request has to get the approval of the Energy Czar, Amy Provinzano,’ said Tokash. ‘She takes care of those matters.’

Additionally, when the temperature outside gets low enough, all the units can be shut off so they are not used unnecessarily.

‘The undergraduate apartments have had air conditioners and those students love it. So far, the student reaction is positive,’ said Brachman. ‘Residential students do not get too much of an overall use. It is mainly used during the summer.’

‘All of Roth Quad will be air conditioned within the next two years,’ Brachman continued. ‘Any student who might feel they need air conditioning has the option to live in such a room.’

‘Students seem to be pleased with [the air conditioners]. We gave students priority to move elsewhere, but no one took advantage of that,’ said Peden. ‘Some folks want to know when they can get air conditioning in their rooms. The renovations are still preliminary.’

There are no plans at this time to install air conditioning in other residence quads.