Fundraiser Helps Children Recovering From Cancer

>A fashion show was held earlier this month to raise money for children who are recovering from cancer. Overall, the charity event raised nearly $70, 000 dollars. Fashion show participants were exclusively patients at Stony University Brook Hospital (SBUH) at one time or another and ranged in age from one-year-olds to teenagers.

The program ‘Little Miracles: For Children With Cancer’ benefits the Sunrise Fund at Stony Brook University, which supports research and programs in pediatric oncology. Approximately 600 people attended the event, which was held on Sept. 19 at Villa Lombardi’#146;s in Holbrook.

The annual event is designed to provide parents and children with an opportunity to celebrate their recovery and to be recognized for their courage. Long Island Cancer Center, which conducts cancer research and provides advanced clinical services to children and adults, is located in SBU. This is the first year the children’s fashion show was added to the program.

‘We are amazed at the tremendous response the fashion show received as a first time event,’ said Dr. Robert Parker, Director of Pediatric and Hematology and Oncology at SBUH. ‘The support says a lot not only about how the patients feel about the treatment they received, but also about the courage these children show every day.”

The Sunrise Fund at Stony Brook was established to raise awareness about childhood cancer and to raise funds for specific projects including a respite center, a playroom, extended support services, facilities and programs that meet our families growing needs, and vital research into the causes and treatment of childhood cancers. The Fund supports a number of special initiatives at SBUH and it’s Pediatric Oncology Program. SBUH’s Pediatric Oncology program is the only pediatric oncology program on Long Island that is tied directly to a major research university.

Additionally, the Sunrise Fund helps create facilities and programs to meet the growing needs of families across Long Island. One such facility is a comprehensive cancer center named the Long Island Cancer Center.

According to the Sunrise Fund’#146;s website, ‘Having a child diagnosed with cancer is one of the most emotionally devastating events a family can experience. We believe that no child – no family – should ever have to leave Suffolk County in order to receive the very best care.’

‘#9;