Honors College Holds Graduation Ceremony

The Honors College’#146;s Tenth Annual Convocation was held Friday, May 17,in the Student Union Auditorium. This year, the Honors College said an emotionalfarewell to thirty-five outstanding Stony Brook students.

Deputy Provost Dr. Mark Aronoff offered the welcoming remarks to open the convocation.He reflected on his experiences as an Honors College Professor specificallynoting how the class showed him that some topics that he previously thoughtwere not interesting were, actually, very interesting.

Graduating senior Stanislava Mladenova made the Student Address. Her speechwas a reflection about the events surrounding 9/11. She mentioned how she andher mother dealt with this tragic event as immigrants and how these events eventuallymade them stronger.

The Keynote Address was made by Honors College Chair Dr. Ruth Cowan. In herlast convocation before leaving for a position at the University of Pennsylvania,she discussed just how important and valuable a public education is to everyone.

She also noted how this graduating class was particularly diverse, with studentswith ancestry from around the world, and how the United States is the only countryin the world that supports public education to the extent that it does.

Closing remarks were made by Provost Dr. Robert McGrath. In his speech, hethanked Dr. Cowan for her years of service to the Honors College and the University,and wished the graduates the best of luck.

‘Graduation was unforgettably bittersweet. I could not escape the chillsof the winds of change. I had an excellent four years here at Stony Brook. Ilook forward to preceding though the doors that the Honors College has openedfor my friends and I,’ graduate Justina Geraci said.
    After the ceremony concluded, the graduates rushed to the stage instead of exitingto complete one more group project before bidding farewell.

The students strategically organized themselves so that the letters that werepreviously taped on to their caps spelled out ‘We Rock With Honors 2002!!’

‘It was a great ceremony, short and sweet. The best part was when allthe Honors College graduates jumped onto stage for a final farewell,’ graduatePatricia Doherty said.