The Stony Brook Bridge

The nameless bridge connecting the library and the second floor of the Unionis gone. Watching it fall inspired awe and a tad bit of sadness in most of us.For all of its structural deficiencies, the bridge served an important functionon the Stony Brook campus.
    It offered shelter from the rain (at least until you got to the leaky juncturewhere you had to pick just the right moment to step beneath and avoid a deluge).It was a meeting place, a shady haven, a means of accessing the Union, a conversationaltopic. It was a piece of history.
    We’#146;re intrigued by this last part: history. The SB Union has been aroundfor decades, but how much of the current student body’#151;or even the newerfaculty’#151;is aware of the building’#146;s history, or the history of othersections of campus.
    What was the location of the SBU bowling alley? What’#146;s up with the zebrapath? When did the bars that used to be located in the residence halls closefor good?
    We believe that students would feel more connected to the University if theyknew more about its history. It’#146;s also important for us to recognize thehistory that is being made during our own years here at Stony Brook.
    But, really, the one big question looming in the wake of the bridge demolitionis: What are we going to call the End of the Bridge restaurant now? We suggestthat the name be retained, as a testament to the virtual ‘end of the bridge’that we have witnessed over the past couple of weeks.