Executive Veto Overturned in Final Senate Meeting

At their final meeting of the semester, Polity Senate overturned the PolityCouncil veto of the Senate’#146;s previous decision to place a ban on ExecutiveCouncil stipends.

Newly chosen Executive Committee chairs appeared before the body of studentleaders to seek approval of their nominations. Further Senate action saw muchof the budget approved, and a complaint about the interview process for executivechairs was heard.

The Council exercised its veto power Thursday afternoon, at its weekly meeting.That evening, Senate voted 24-2-4 to reinstate the ban, easily capturing thenecessary 2/3 majority to reject the Council’#146;s veto.

All recently elected student leaders ran for office knowing that it was likelythey would not receive monetary compensation. A motion was made by Senator GodfreyPalia to provide stipends to the top eight elected student leaders for the summerterm and then revisit the issue in the fall.

‘Obviously, what we’#146;re determining is [that] some people’#146;s timeis worthmore than other people’#146;s time. I think the money could be betterspent,’ Senator Robert Anders said, speaking against the motion.

Senators speaking in favor of Palia’#146;s motion felt it was a good compromise.Instead of the approximately $2000 per week that is currently spent on stipends,around $450 would be dispensed. The motion failed by a vote of 7-13-7.

In other business, a candidate for executive chair of SPAB alleged that hewas not granted a fair interview process. He said that two people interviewedhim, while four interviewed the other candidate. After approaching Polity PresidentAkelia Lawrence about the issue, he said he was told he would receive a secondinterview, but alleges that it was never granted.

‘I looked at all recommendations, and evaluated the situation from there,’Lawrence said.

She continued by pointing out that there is no section in the organization’#146;sconstitution that mandates an interviewing committee. She also told the studentthat she felt he would be a good candidate for another position, but he declinedto apply.

The Senate meeting continued with unanimous approval of all executive chairpositions by a block vote. Among those being presented for approval was thenewly appointed chair of Comedy and Lecture, who said he would strive to keepstudents on campus by scheduling events that would make them laugh.

In addition, the $133,473 Programming budget was approved, with increases of$1,000 and $2,000 provided to Homecoming and Opening Week activities, respectively.

The Ballroom Dance club also received a more than $1,000 increase. Consideringballroom dance will become an Olympic sport, Polity Senate recommended thatit be moved under the jurisdiction of athletic funding in the future.