Pope Plans Dialogue on Church Doctrine

Next week’#146;s meeting at the Vatican will bring together American cardinalsin a discussion over celibacy of priests, screening gay candidates for the priesthoodand the role of women in the church.

Cardinal J. Francis Stafford, an American who heads the Vatican’#146;s PontificalCouncil for Laity, gave a preview of the agenda of the meeting that expertshave described as extraordinary. The plans for the meeting reflect the Vatican’#146;srealization of the crisis in the American church.

Pope John Paul II chose to bring his American cardinals to the Vatican aftera meeting with a contingent of American cardinals last week.

They want the Vatican to clarify what changes the Pope would be in favor ofbefore a June meeting with American bishops. That meeting will focus on developinga national protocol to prevent sexual abuse by priests.

Some of the cardinals attending the meeting will be pushing Pope John PaulII and other top church officials to consider changing centuries of church doctrine.

American cardinal Roger M. Mahony plans to discuss a proposal that would allowpriests to marry and women should be ordained. He feels that the time has cometo discuss these ideas.

In addition, the Vatican wishes to address the cultural differences betweenAmerican church leaders and Vatican officials. Vatican officials have struggledto grasp the impact of the recent explosion of scandal in U.S. churches, andthe way they have been dealt with by the American public.