A Work In Progress or An Accident Waiting To Happen?

With many major building projects still in progress while others are just gettingunder way, we’#146;re beginning to wonder if SBU is a university campus or aconstant construction site.

We appreciate the fact that the university is attempting to improve on thestructures, and think progress is always a positive step towards bettering thefacilities, but the massive amount of construction that is going on here isgetting to be not only confusing, but hazardous.

Almost everywhere you turn, there are scaffoldings hanging from the backs ofbuildings and trucks constantly driving down the paths which many students taketo their classes. The road behind the Student Activities Center is the mosthazardous, with trucks zooming in and out and heavy debris on the ground. Studentsare walking in front of cranes that are not even sectioned off. There are manypeople who walk through that area to get to their classes, and if it is goingto be dangerous to cross the road or walk near the construction, the least theuniversity could do is block off the machinery. It’#146;s just an accident waitingto happen.

On top of the physical hazards of the current construction comes the inconvenienceof new building projects. We have recently learned that the Humanities Buildingwill be shut down for three years due to new construction. While it does, inall likelihood, need renovation, closing the Humanities Building will forceprofessors to relocate their offices and classes, while students, mostly EnglishMajors, will be displaced and put into different buildings across campus.

While we understand the need for progress, it is important to remember thatthe students of today deserve some consideration as well. By constantly addingconstruction projects while others are still under way, the university doesa disservice to the students who are currently trying to enjoy their time atSBU.