Joining The Statesman…

The Stony BrookStatesman always welcomes people interested in becoming our reporters, and photographers.

Previous experienceon a high school or college newspaper is not necessary. All that is necessaryto become a staff member at the Statesman is two things, an interest in reporting/writingor photography, and a few minutes to spare to get in touch with one of the editors(see below for more details).

Once you meet with or speak to one of our editors, you will either be givenan assignment, or be referred to the section editor who can help you with thesection that you are interested in writing for.

After three assignments,you officially become a member of the staff.

Production meetingsare held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays throughout the academic year;those interested in becoming staff members are always welcome to attend. TheStatesman also holds Open Houses, and seminars at various times throughout theyear for all those interested.

Deadlines for stories are generally Tuesday or Wednesday (at the discretionof an editor) for the Thursday issue, and Saturday for the Monday issue. Productionis held on these days, and while attendance is not necessary for reporters,it can be a valuable learning experience, and is highly recommended for thosewho would like to become an editor.