Farewell Much

Having worked with The Statesman, I can safely say I’m truly grateful for the experience. I came to Stony Brook majoring in Anthropology, and I had actually come to Journalism late as compared to my friends and colleagues. I just wanted the opportunity to write.

I started out writing content for the Arts and Entertainment section in the Fall of 2007 while at the time minoring in Women’s Studies, and I remember thinking that, however much I love the WST curriculum, I still wanted and needed the chance to develop my writing. With that in mind, I took JRN 103 and JRN 110 while humbly admitting that I knew absolutely jack about journalism and news in general. That was probably the best decision I made that year.

Since that time, I’ve had the opportunity to work with three editors at the Statesman, write a bit for the Independent — for which, if I may say, I have the utmost respect as a student publication — and take a position as Assistant Editor for A’E. I’ve had the opportunity to shake hands with musicians and actors, but above all I’ve had the chance to work with some fantastic people. I leave behind something that can only get better and better.

As someone who only wanted to write, I’ve done just that and more. I’ve found myself in a field that I truly respect and love and I hope it takes not only me but the people I’ve worked with great places.