Moving Out, but Your Stuff Doesn’t Have to

As students begin to move out of residence halls, they might simply dispose of unwanted goods while they’re packing up their belongings in preparation for the summer. On the other side of the spectrum, however, there are many people who need the same goods that are being thrown away. Stony Brook’s sustainability infrastructure solves both of these dilemmas. “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rethink,” the Stony Brook University Department of Recycling and Resource Management motto, is put into use during the Move Out, FreeCycle, and Reusable Office Supply Exchange (ROSE) programs. The Move Out program is run by Stony Brook’s Department of Recycling and Resource Management, who also pioneered the program last year. This is an annual campaign to divert recyclable and reusable goods from the trash stream. From May 11 to May 21, Stony Brook will collect books, appliances, office supplies, food, clothing, paper and many other items that students may have an excess of. The program has been successful thus far. During Stony Brook’s 2008 Move Out program, 1,535 pounds of food were donated to the Port Jefferson Food Pantry, 8,192 pounds of clothing were donated to Goodwill Industries, and 602 pounds of sneakers were donated to the Nike Reuse-A-Shoe program. Additionally, in keeping with Stony Brook’s high level of environmental sustainability, 4,800 pounds of paper and books were recycled. In order to participate in Move Out, students merely need to put the items they intend on donating into designated cardboard boxes that can be found in each residence hall during the end of the semester. At the end of move outs, Stony Brook University will allocate the collected items to practical organizations over the summer. In late August through early September, while students are moving back into residence halls, the goods that had been collected during Move Outs are redistributed to students who need them. Mainly electronics and appliances are recycled through students in Stony Brook in a program called FreeCycle. Last year, about 2,000 pounds of electronics and appliances that were collected during the Move Out program were redistributed in the FreeCycle program. Stony Brook’s faculty also has the ability to participate in recycling their unneeded goods. The Reusable Office Supply Exchange (ROSE) program began this year as an effort by the Department of Recycling and Resource Management. Offices in the university can contact the Department at any time to request a ROSE box in which to store their surplus office supplies until they’ve filled the box. Similar to the Move Out program, the Department will pick up the reusable supplies and keep them over the summer. During the Fall 2009 semester, students will be given the excess office supplies for their personal use, free of charge.