Men’s Lacrosse

The Men’s Lacrosse team clinched a top four seed in the America East conference, and a spot in the postseason tournament with a 14-9 victory over Binghamton saturday night at LaValle Stadium. The Seawolves pushed their record to 7-4 overall, and 3-1 in conference.

The game was a classic “trap” game for the Seawolves. Binghamton came into the contest with a 2-10 overall record. Stony Brook plans to travel to play Long Island rival Hofstra Tuesday night, and host Albany in a match up that could decide which team gets top seed in the conference tournament on Saturday.

But the young and talented Seawolves squad focused on the task in front of them, and essentially put the Bearcats away with a five goal run that spanned the second and third quarters, and left Stony Brook with a 10-2 lead.

Securing the win was especially important considering the UMBC Retreivers, the top team in the America East, was shocked on Saturday by Hartford. Both Stony Brook and UMBC are tied with 3-1 conference records, but the Retrievers hold the tie-breaker with a head-to-head victory.

After Kevin Crowley opened the scoring for the Seawolves with 13:24 remaining in the opening period, Binghamton’s Frank Donlon answered back at the 7:50 mark to tie the score. It would be the only time the Bearcats were really in the game.

Stony Brook scored nine of the next 10 goals and by the 8:10 mark of the third quarter held a 10-2 lead. Binghamton scored the next three goals to make it interesting, but unassisted goals by Jordan McBride and Jared LeVerne sealed the deal for the Seawolves.

Crowley led all scorers with three goals and two assists, while McBride added three goals and an assist of his own.

Sophomore Adam Rand was once again dominant in the faceoff circle, winning 15 of20. Overall the Seawolves were 16 of 25, including nine for nine in the third quarter. Stony Brook also picked up 44 ground balls compared to Binghamton’s 24, and was 19 of 21 on clear attempts.

Charlie Parr was in goal for the Seawolves and stopped nine of the 16 shots he faced. Rob Camposa got a brief relief performance and made two saves on four shots.

In all likelihood next weekend’s Stony Brook-Albany game will be a preview of a semi-final match up between the two teams in the America East tournament. Tuesday evening in Hempstead should prove to be an interesting matchup, with the Seawolves looking to avenge a loss suffered at the hands of the Pride in a closely contested game at LaValle Stadium last season. Face off is scheduled for 7:00pm.