Honor Societies Hope to Pull in More Students

Golden Key presented the second annual Honor Society Fair Wednesday in hopes of bringing more awareness to the different honor societies on campus to students.

Invitations for the event were sent to any junior or senior with 57 credits or more and a GPA over a 3.3. Those who are inducted to the different honor societies are invited to a ceremony held in each November, and are presented with a certificate of achievement.

According to Annette Staebler, who is in charge of new student programs including the Honor Society Fair, 2,400 students were sent invitations last year and 792 of them were inducted. Golden Key is then added on the student’s transcripts. “It can be added to your resume,” Staebler said.

Though the fair was intended to bring awareness to many chapters, some groups did not attend and student participation was diminutive.

Among the chapters who attended were Psi Chi representing psychology. President Kimberly Alexander of Psi Chi believes the organization is a way to educate and inform students for future opportunities such as grad school and the interviewing process. “It is great because it shows us what grad school life is like. It also teaches us how to interview well and how to write a personal statement,” she said.

Extracurricular activities are not required as part of the induction process, but many chapters do try to organize events. Mark Geraci, president of Golden key, is incorporating community service to his chapter, for those who want to volunteer. “I’m trying to make it into a community service organization.” said Geraci.