What’s With This Whole Tiger Scandal?

Photo Credit: sayradio.net

This country is breaking down the hero it once built up, the ever so gentle Tiger Woods.

As a professional golfer with amazing talent, 14 major golf championships on his shelves and 71 PGA tours under his belt, one can say he is the best athlete in the nation, as well as the world .  It would be absurd to think that a once highly regarded man can fall so low in popularity and be tormented by America’s characteristic harangues on their celebrities when they fall. Because of a sex scandal, America’s hero became the butt of American’s joke all over the nation, and his championships and PGA tours became something similar to a joke. In other cases, sex scandals made mortals into gods, and have become characteristic of a icon’s personality and image, for example,  Mick Jagger.  We cannot deny cultural trends and the power of how single details can cause epidemics of ideologies.

So why is a sex scandal destroying Tiger Woods?

This is my explanation.Mick Jagger had the persona of a rockstar, someone who will not get married and will wake up in different beds every other week ,if not every other day. So his multiple liaisons are well over looked and become old news seconds after stories of them are released. Tiger Woods, however, carries the family man appearance  and therefore looks invincible to temptations, especially in such stressful moments along his tours and in the eyes of the American public. It is some sort of taboo for a man of Tiger Woods character to be caught in infidelity.  Tiger Woods’ scandal shows that not only do we judge a book by its cover, but also have a poor sense in  judging someone’s character. In all this turmoil, we failed to see that Tiger Woods was just another guy/celebrity that got caught cheating.