Fleetwood Unleashed

The pale light emitting from overhead inside Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum vanished. A pregnant pause followed — a pause that seemed to last five months. Even in the darkness a few stragglers could still be seen meandering to their seats. Sporadic drumbeats pounded the air. Black silhouettes walked stoically across the stage.

The lights and applause blared as Fleetwood Mac’s “Unleashed” tour steamrolled into Uniondale Friday night for one performance.

“Welcome everybody, we are Fleetwood Mac,” said singer Stevie Nicks, dressed in black. “Let’s get this party started.”

The tour, the band’s first in five years, does not introduce any new music — a first for Fleetwood Mac. But the band played through their decades of songs like a well-oiled machine.

The clear and crisp voice of Stevie Nicks, coupled with the intricate yet edgy guitar riffs by band mate Lindsey Buckingham sliced through the air as the band played straight through a set that reached past 25 songs.

Drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie kept a low profile throughout the show but led the group through hits “Rhiannon,” “Gypsy,” and “Big Love.”

The show started off with “Monday Morning” as Buckingham, now slightly graying, tried to pull off the rocker look with a leather jacket.

As the concert pressed on, Nicks underwent several subtle wardrobe changes — becoming more bohemian as the night progressed.

One thing that wasn’t subtle was the band’s list of number one hits. The band played several hits off the 1979 “Tusk” album including “Storms,” “Tusk,” “What Makes You Think You’re The One,” and “Sisters of the Moon.”

The band did not play any songs sung by keyboardist Christine McVie, who no longer tours with the band.

The tour, which kicked off Mar. 1 in Pittsburgh, will meander through the United States through the spring and into the summer. Currently, 44 concerts are anticipated with stops in Canada scheduled.

Fleetwood Mac was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and has won several Grammys.