Editorial: Our Campus’s Loss

The loss of a life is always significant, no matter whose life it is. But for a university, especially one the size of Stony Brook, the death of a member of the community is particularly jolting.

No one on the editorial board of The Statesman knew Andrew Mineo, a Stony Brook senior who was found dead in his dorm room Tuesday evening, to any great lengths; nevertheless, as someone who ate in the same places we did and took classes in the same buildings we did — someone we could very well have brushed past one day in the libraary — it’s impossible for us not to be affected by his death.

Speculating about the cause of Mineo’s death does no one any good. Rumors have spread across campus, but just like a game of telephone, the messages may be distorted.

At the time of writing this article, the cause of Mineo’s death is still unknown.

As a news organization here on campus, we must, and do, strive to provide our readers with factual, and responsible reporting. That said, we try to approach and cover our stories with a great deal of (expected) scrutiny, discretion and sensitivity.

Our condolences go out to the entire Stony Brook community, especially to Mineo’s family and friends.

Support resources: The University Counseling Center (631-632-6470); The Center for Prevention and Outreach (631-632-2748); Response of Suffolk County (631-751-7500)