Women’s Basketball Defeats Binghamton 62-51

The women’s basketball team defeated the Binghamton Bearcats 62-51 at Pritchard Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.

After starting the season 2-15 overall and 0-5 in conference play, the women have won four out of five games and find themselves in the thick of things in the America East picture.

Kirsten Jeter and Kairsten Nunn led the team offensively against Binghamton, scoring 14 points each. Nunn shot 6-16 and made one of three from beyond the arc. Jeter was 7/13, and also led the Seawolves grabbing 11 rebounds.

Binghamton was able to get within four points, 42-38, with 12:08 remaining in the second half. Nunn tried to regain the momentum for the Seawolves but missed a three-point shot.

But Jeter grabbed the offensive rebound and allowed Stony Brook to reset. Later in the possession Misha Horsey hit a jumper that put the Seawolves up six. They never looked back after that.

Horsey, a sophomore guard, contributed 10 points, five assists, and four rebounds for the Seawolves.

Stony Brook looks to continue its hot play Tuesday night at Prithcard Gymnasium against one of the better teams in the America East, Vermont. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.