Fewer Parking Spaces Leave Roth Residents Circling

Last semester, Roth Quad residents in Gershwin College had the comfort of knowing they would find a parking spot, but this semester, spaces were taken away and made into 24-hour faculty parking. Now students are having trouble sticking to the rules.

“The entire fall semester I never had trouble finding a parking spot,” a 21-year-old Roth Quad resident majoring in humanities said. “But now as a student who lives on campus and is here most of the week, including weekends, I can’t park in spaces that are open on the side strip because it’s all faculty parking.”

This student, a senior, requested to remain anonymous because she works in Roth Quad.

“If they could make it staff parking, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, like they have with resident parking, that would be much better,” she continued.

Other students wouldn’t mind to compromise with the time slots for parking.

“It is much more practical since residents typically spend more time on the school grounds than faculty,” said Maria Nortesano, a senior and nursing major.

James O’Connor, director of Transportation and Parking Operations said, “Faculty, staff, and graduate students have described their research hours and their evening requirements to be near Computer Science, Life Sciences and CMM (Centers for Molecular Medicine). Their needs from their perspective were that they did need 24-hour parking because they work late hours and that was one of the main reasons why it was zoned for 24-hour use.”

O’Connor also mentioned that according to the parking pass purchases that were made, there were enough parking spaces that were left over to make parking for faculty. He said there are about 170 spaces available to buy and the number of passes that were purchased was well under 170.

Another reason why this section was changed to 24-hour faculty parking was to increase the number of parking lots that are in the surrounding areas. Parking Services is also trying to be environmentally conscious.

Not only do the students have to worry about those spots that were revoked, but they also have the trouble of dealing with other students that have not bought parking passes who park illegally.

“You actually have to fight for spaces. We have to now park illegally and risk getting ticketed because of what other students are doing,” said the anonymous senior. “We feel stuck.” O’Connor said Parking Services is conscious that students are not buying the parking hang tags and that the efforts have increased to make students stop parking illicitly. If students were to buy hang tags instead of trying to get out of paying the parking fee, those who work at Parking Services would have a better understanding of how many cars are on campus and where they can and cannot change certain zoning areas.