Men’s Basketball Beats Maine

After the long trip up to Orono, Maine, the Seawolves held a 37-29 lead at the end of the first half.

Unlike last week’s game against New Hampshire when Stony Brook held a nine point lead at the break and ended up losing by 11 after a rough second half, the Seawolves were able to hold on against the Black Bears.

Stony Brook used a strong shooting second half from the floor and free throw line to defeat Maine 70-59 and move back to .500 in conference play. The win improved the Seawolves overall record to 13-10.

The Seawolves used a 12-2 run late in the first half, started by a Chris Martin jumper and capped by a Demetrius Young layup to go from trailing 24-23 to finding themselves up 35-26. Martin’s jumped with 4:26 left in the half gave the Seawolves a lead they would not relinquish.

Leading scorer Muhammad El-Amin once again led the team offensively, scoring 22 on 7-11 shooting, including 4-5 from three-point range. El-Amin also had four rebounds and an assist.

For the game the Seawolves shot 25-64 (39.1%) for the game, including 11-25 (44.0%) in the second half.

Young, the senior forward from Sacramento, California, continued his strong play, scoring 17 points and grabbing six rebounds in 26 minutes. He added two steals and a block.