Women’s Hoops Wins Second Game in a Row

The Stony Brook Women’s basketball team also did battle with the UMBC retrievers on Saturday at Pritchard Gymnasium.

And like the men did later in the evening, the women came away with a victory, winning by a score of 78-62. The victory improved the Seawolves record to 4-15 overall, and 2-5 in America East play.

The Seawolves were led by sophomore forward Kirsten Jeter, who had a team-high 24 points on 10-21 shooting. Jeter made one of two attempted three-pointers, and also added seven rebounds, six steals, two blocks and an assist in 34 minutes of playing time.

Supporting Jeter’s big game was Misha Horsey, who played all 40 minutes and scored 14 points. She also chipped in seven assists and five rebounds.

Up 30-29 with 6:17 remaining in the first half, a jumper by Kairsten Nunn ignited a 13-2 run that the Seawolves used to close out the half and go up by a score of 43-31.

UMBC was able to get within six points, 47-41 with 15:49 remaining in the game, but a lay-up by Jeter and a jumped by Destiny Jacobs pushed the Seawolves lead into double digits, and they would lead by at least 10 points for the remainder of the game.