Settling for Obama

I did not want Obama in office. I mean sure, I voted for him. But, I wanted Hillary. I know, sour grapes, let it go. But, I just did not trust the man, everyone said he was charismatic, appealing, a breath of fresh air. I didn’t see it. And then he was inaugurated. I cried. Not once, but twice. His speech was compelling. It was a call to action, for America to regain its pride. Other people were crying, all over the television, the people I was with were glued to the screen hanging on his every word. Everything about it felt historic and significant. But, the moment passed. The speech ended and something settled in me. Were all my anti-Obama sentiments and dreams fake? Had I jumped on the “change” bandwagon? I felt like a big ol’ sell out.

So I thought about it, I still don’t really like him. I have hope that as our president he will do the right thing, help the economy and the United States regain the status in the world arena that it once had, but I don’t like him yet. But I realized, I don’t need to like him. How I feel about him in unimportant in the grand scheme. Most people like him, and if nothing else he has gotten people to care about the issues, which alone helps the issues. And that’s what’s important. I don’t need to ever like him, but I do want everyone else to keep doing so.