Fall ’08 Review

Top Moments of the Semester:

1.’ ‘ Women’s Soccer Defeats Binghamton to Advance to America East Championship:

‘Before the game the music was cranked up, the field illuminated and the bleachers were ice cold. The Seawolves had their largest attendance of the year, as 351 fans carrying extra coats and blankets arrived ready to cheer the team on. The Seawolves and Bearcats took the field in their semifinal match-up, each knowing that there was only room in the championship game for one of them.’ Shawn Brown ‘- 11/3/08 Issue

2.’ Football Win’s Homecoming Thriller:

‘It didn’t come easy. Nothing has for Stony Brook football thus far in 2008.

Red shirt Freshman Dayne Hoffman found tight end Adrian Sawyer for a 23-yard game winning strike with only 1:06 left to lift the Seawolves 20-19 over Charleston Southern on
    Homecoming.’ ‘- Gene Morris, 10/20/08 Issue

3.’ Gowins and Cuttino Carve Up VMI, Set Records:

‘Conte Cuttino and Edwin Gowins once again surpassed 200 yards individually, and set some more records.

‘Cuttino’s 233-yards on 28 carries pushed him to 2,808 yards in his career. He passed running back Ralph Menendez’s 2,623-yards to become Stony Brook’s all time leading rusher.
    Gowins had another huge day, scoring three times, with each touchdown over 30 yards. His 250 yards on the day put him at 1,310 yards on the season, the highest total in Stony Brook history, and he also had a 65-yard touchdown run called back due to a holding penalty. Cuttino’s season total of 1,243 yards leaves him second on the individual season list.’ ‘- Gene Morris, 11/17/08 Issue

4.’ Women’s Cross Country Win’s America East Championship
    ‘The Stony Brook Seawolves Cross Country team was awash with excitement on Saturday as the Women’s team once again took home the Conference title for the second year in a row.
    The women placed four runners in the top ten spots and five overall in the top fifteen.’ -‘ Mike Fodera, 11/3/08 Issue

5.’ Men’s Basketball Sets Pritchard on Fire With Huge Second Half

‘The Seawolves’ defense was relentless, seemingly feeding off of their offensive success to force the Hawks into difficult shots and costly turnovers. A three-pointer by John Moore (Cleveland, Ohio) brought the Seawolves within one, followed by another layup by Adedeji that finally put the Seawolves on top at 41-40 with nine minutes left. The home team would never look back, playing stifling defense and capitalizing on offense.

Over a nine minute stretch, the Hawks were held to two field goals, en route to shooting a mere 30 percent (9-30) in the last 20 minutes, while the Seawolves hit 53 percent (16-30) of their shots. The Hawks were held to 50 points and committed 23 turnovers, after averaging 74 points and only 11 turnovers in their previous seven games.

A 19-2 Seawolves run, in which Martin contributed seven points, sealed the deal and gave the home team a 62-44 cushion with 2:30 minutes to go.’ ‘- Sarah Kazadi 12/8/08

Athletes of The Semester:
    1.Edwin Gowins
    2.Marissa Viola
    3.Conte Cuttino
    4.Holly Van Dalen
    5.Colleen McKenna/Brooke Barbuto