Down Under With Baz

“Just because it is, doesn’t mean it should be,” Miss Ashley said to Drover. These words rang true throughout their whole adventure in the new movie “Australia”, released by Twentieth Century Fox last Wednesday.

When an aristocratic English woman, Lady Sarah Ashley (Nicole Kidman), inherits a cattle ranch that her late husband owned in Australia, her whole world turns upside down. Originally obsessed with her belongings, she soon must get over her worldly goods and discover what really matters in life.

A rough cattle driver, Drover (Hugh Jackman), a young Aboriginal boy Nullah (Brandon Walters), and some others that worked on the ranch, must all join forces to save the land that Miss Ashley has inherited. They must venture on an almost impossible journey through the most unbearable parts of the country while driving 1,500 heads of cattle onto a ship, so that King Carney (Bryan Brown) cannot continue to steal anymore.

Not long after they make it to Darwin, Australia, bombs drop from the sky by the Japanese who only a few months before attacked, Pearl Harbor. Do they make it? Does Nullah get captured by the police because he is of a different culture? Does Miss Ashley find herself falling for Drover? Or do they just fight together until the very end?

This movie is packed with action, adventure, drama, romance, beautiful scenery, and a fantastic story line. Director Baz Luhrmann did a marvelous job and it is one show that you will want to buy when it comes out on DVD.