Budget Cuts Have Little Affect On Construction

Governor Paterson’s proposed state budget cuts will take a serious toll on the funding of New York State education. While many departments campus wide are scrambling to conserve their funding, the current construction projects on campus will be going ahead as planned.

The university’s operating budget for 2007-2008 is over $1.7 billion, but future cuts will limit the funding of Stony Brook and other SUNY schools, forcing the administration to cut back on services such as building maintenance and construction.

“We had to choose one project, our one priority, the number one capital project,” said Daniel J. Melucci, associate vice president for strategy, planning and analysis. “We chose to continue with the student recreation center.”

Melucci also acknowledged the ongoing construction all over campus, assuring that they will “continue as scheduled, with no delays.” Projects include the construction of new dormitories adjacent to Wagner and Stimson Colleges in Roosevelt Quad and the repair of piping in front of Kelly Dining Center.

Construction on the new residence halls began in the fall 2007, and so far is not going to be affected by the budget cuts. The objective behind the construction of new dorms is to ease the overpopulation of campus residences that have so far led to up to three students sharing one room.

Residents of Roosevelt and Kelly Quad have gone several weekends without hot water due to the piping project in front of the Kelly Dinning Center.

The 40-year-old pipes, which were rusted from old age, let off a steam leak in January and have since been under repair.

These sites are not threatened by budget cuts. According to Melucci, the university has already issued the bonds for the construction in those areas of the campus.

University Budget Director Mark Maciulaitis estimated that New York State is cutting $2 billion from SUNY funding.

“The cuts might result in a $600 tuition increase, but this is all still in the discussion stage,” he said.