Men’s Basketball

With only 4:57 remaining in the game and down 22 points, the men’s basketball team was staring its first loss right in the face.

But a three-pointer by freshman Bryan Dougher ignited a 12-0 Seawolves run that cut the deficit to ten points.

The Seawolves could not fully capitalize on that momentum, and although they were within seven points with under a minute left in the game, they eventually fell by a final of 81-70.

Muhammad El-Amin led all Stony Brook scorers with 15 points in 20 minutes of action.

Dallis Joyner was another leader on the floor for the Seawolves. In just 18 minutes of play he scored 14 points, grabbed five rebounds and had two steals.

Both El-Amin and Joyner shot 6-10 from the field. The rest of the team combined to shoot 14-43, just 33 percent.

Chris Martin was the only other Seawolf with double digit scoring. He had 11 points and four rebounds in 14 minutes.

In front of a packed house of 1,536 in the newly renovated Pritchard gymnasium, the Seawolves got its 2008-09 season off to a good start with a 60-44 victory over Maryland Eastern Shore.

Freshman Danny Carter led the team with 11 points in his first ever collegiate game. He also had three rebounds and three blocks in his 25 minutes of play.

Another freshman played brilliant for Stony Brook as well.

Tommy Brenton had eight points to go along with 16 rebounds for the Seawolves.