Who’s Touring? Who’s In Concert?

Reunion tours have made a comeback over the past few years – The Police were touring (and stopped again), the Rolling Stones, and now The Who are back in full swing.

The Who’s 2008 tour came by the Izod Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey this past Wednesday night. There was no opening band for this particular show. The band took the stage at approximately 8:30 p.m. and played many of their classic hits such as “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” “Who Are You,” and of course, “Baba O’Reilly.” Surprisingly, a majority of their mega-hits, notably “Baba,” was played in the very middle of the set list, an unconventional thing to do.

The band – consisting of Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend, both in their 60s, played vigorously through their upbeat songs, interacting with the almost sold-out crowd of all ages. The majority of the arena featured people in their 40s to 50s, however, kids as young as six or seven could be spotted singing along to some of the memorable lyrics.

Daltrey didn’t seem to speak as often in between songs, as he had to conserve his voice, so Townshend took over the microphone duties. Townshend brought up the current state of the economy to the crowd. “These are hard times,” he said arrogantly, “well for you, not for me,” and laughed. The crowd knew he was joking, but maybe there was a slight message hinting to the audience to purchase their overpriced t-shirts and other merchandise.

Politics came up a couple of times during the set as well, as Townshend lightly called both presidential candidates “alright guys.” He then mentioned that the election didn’t matter to them, since they are from overseas.

The band continued to play through fan favorites with Daltrey’s astonishing vocals filling the arena and Townshend’s famous windmill guitar-playing style taking over the stage. The band finished the night off with two encores. The ending encore, though, was the more emotional one for fans and the band. Daltrey and Townshend played “Tea and Theatre,” featuring the only two original living members on the big stage, representing all that is left of The Who. It was a sad reminder of the passing of John Entwistle and Keith Moon, two lives cut short by rock-star addictions.

The two hugged each other and waved to the audience.

“Thank you. This is why we love coming here,” Townshend said, “We love you.”