Spooky Places on Long Island

While Long Island may not be home to the Loch Ness monster or Big Foot, it has its fair share of ghosts and unexplainable paranormal activity. These are some of the most haunted places on Long Island, courtesy of the Long Island Paranormal Investigators. If you dare to explore them, don’t go alone.

Amityville Horror House

It would not be right to talk about ghosts on Long Island without mentioning the house on Ocean Avenue in Amityville. At 3:15 a.m. on Nov. 13, 1974, Ronald DeFeo shot and killed his parents, two brothers and two sisters as they slept soundly in their beds. During his trial, Ronald DeFeo claimed voices in his head told him to do it and said, “Whenever I looked around, there was no one there, so it must have been God talking to me.” DeFeo was found guilty and sent to prison for murdering his family.

The following year, George and Kathy Lutz moved into the Ocean Avenue house with their three children. Upon moving in, the family experienced repeated unexplained activity such as the inside of the upstairs toilet bowls turning black, doors ripping off their hinges and a crucifix turning upside down and giving off an unpleasant smell. Only 28 days after they moved in, the Lutzes left the house, claiming it was haunted by demonic spirits. The house still stands today, and the current residents haven’t reported any paranormal activity.

Kings Park Psychiatric Center

The psychiatric center, located close to the Stony Brook University campus off route 25A, was established in 1885 and is said to be haunted by mentally ill souls who died there from being tortured. A majority of the stories are set in the underground tunnels beneath the center. One legend says that a 17-year-old girl named Marie, who died while undergoing electric shock, and a man who was brutally beaten and left in small room, walk the underground tunnels.

Although the center closed in 1996 and is abandoned, many people still visit the buildings and have claimed they’ve felt like they were being watched and heard screaming voices and tearful sobbing. There are also stories about a ghost dog and a mass grave cemetery, said to be located in the northern area of the center. Many people claim to have seen ghosts in the area where the mass grave is said to be. The Long Island Paranormal Investigators have heard unexplainable sounds and taken unusual photographs while investigating the cemetery area.

Sweet Hollow Road, Huntington

This long stretch of road in Huntington has been the source for many stories throughout generations. There are many stories about the road, including a ghost called the “white lady” who supposedly walks in front of cars and then vanishes. A little girl who died on the road back in the 1920s after being hit by a car is also said to be seen walking down the road late at night. People also say about 75 years ago, a newly married couple was killed in a car accident on the road and the groom can be seen looking for his bride along the road. The bodies of three boys who hung themselves years ago on the Northern State overpass are also said to be seen hanging off the overpass as you drive by it.

Sweet Hollow Road can be found off Jericho Turnpike in Huntington and runs past the Northern State Parkway, Old Country Road and Walt Whitman Road. If you do decide to take a drive down Sweet Hollow Road, keep your eyes open, or you might miss your chance to see one of the many ghosts who haunt the road.

Reid’s Ice Cream Factory

During the 1950s, a girl who worked as a dancer at a local nightclub in Blue Point went to the ice cream factory with a man she just met. The factory had been abandoned since the 1920s and was used by many as a local make out spot. The man supposedly attacked the girl with a razor, killing her and leaving her body outside the factory. People claim they can hear screams and cries from the abandoned factory. There are also claims that the girl will walk towards you, tilt her head to show the cuts her murderer made, and vanish before she reaches you.

During the 1970s, a little boy was climbing on an old piece of machinery in the factory and fell to his death. Since his death, people say they hear giggling and singing, and even the sound of small feet echoing down the main entrance inside the factory. A fire supposedly destroyed the original building, and plans to rebuild the factory were planned but more fires occurred each time the rebuilds were intended to take place. The owners ultimately gave up on their plans to rebuild the factory and they boarded it up and abandoned it. In 2003, the factory was demolished and houses were built on top of the land where the factory once stood.

Mary’s Grave

The legend of Mary’s Grave incorporates many Long Island legends. There are supposedly many Mary’s Graves, but the original tale is said to have originated in the Mount Misery area. The stories are that Mary was cheating on her boyfriend and when he found out, he took her in the woods and hung her. Others say it was her boyfriend who was cheating and when Mary found out she killed her boyfriend in the woods.

Either way, people say her tombstone is behind her house and that her name is printed on the tombstone, but when you take a picture of it and get the film developed, the tombstone is blank. Also, on the road where Mary’s house is, there is a small stone building where Mary was murdered and if you hold a cross and knock three times on the building, you’ll wake the dead.